PUPPY FOUNDATION COURSE £75 per dog/handler.
6 WEEK COURSE
Puppy Foundation Course
Who is it for?
Suitable for puppies 8* to 44 weeks with a maximum of 8 puppies per course. Taught by staff with qualifications and experience in the field of animal behaviour and training.
*We strongly believe in the benefits of early socialisation, so are happy for puppies to join only having had their first vaccination, but owners should consult their own veterinary surgeon if they want to consider this option.
This course is also a useful course as a follow on from those run by most veterinary practices.
Program Description: The primary goal of this program is to enrich your puppy with positive experiences so that he or she matures into being a comfortable and confident dog. Precision obedience work is not the focus at this age (nor should it be the priority), so this is not to be considered a full obedience class. The emphasis of the class is around ensuring your puppy interacts with a variety of other puppies in a positive manner so that we reduce the risk of your puppy being fearful or aggressive towards dogs later in life. Therefore, puppy socialisation class is so valuable.
The aim of this course: Is to promote responsible dog ownership. This includes teaching handlers the basics of dog obedience training using positive motivational methods in order that puppies can be safely introduced into the local social community environment.
Objectives for this course:
By completion of this six-week course, the Handler should have a basic understanding of:
- Various training methods on how to train a puppy,
- The needs of a puppy in the family household, along with
- Basic understanding of the responsibility and care towards the puppy
In addition, the puppy should be familiar with:
- Cue words such as Sit, Down, Stand, Come, Stay, Wait, Heel, Take, Leave and Drop
- Have an idea of the position to walk alongside their handler and
- The requirement to automatically sit and stay alongside their handler when their handler stops walking.
Exercises to be taught during the course:
- Basic Position Training including the wait training
- Focus & Engagement Games
- Play training
- Motivational Recall Training
- Foundation Lead training
- Controlled Greetings
- Generating attention
- Food manners
- Collar touch exercise
- Cuddles and Care